Cross-docking services involve delivering products from one manufacturer to another manufacturer or its final destination, during whichno or less storage time is required in between. This service helps you to reduce your warehousing cost and ship your goods faster with the minimal handling of goods and lower chances of product damage.
Cross-docking refers to the practice in logistics of transporting goods from the manufacturer to its destination or customers through various modes of transportation with little or no storage in between. This is mostlydone to sort products intended for different destinations, or to combine products from different origins, into containers or vehicles with the same destination.Thesefacilities have various advantages like reduction in labour costs and warehousing costs, faster product delivery, there is no need for a large warehouse area, it’s easy to screen the product quality, and more.
Here are some advantages and disadvantages involved in Cross-docking:
- Supply chain vulnerability from disruption-Everything in cross-docking needs to be planned and executed precisely. A healthy supply and smooth supply chain is a key to success for this kind of business.A little disruption in the supply chain can be costly.
- Sufficient transport carriers required –To start a businessin cross-docking, transportation is the main requirement. The whole business is dependent on it, as goods are not stored in this kind of facility. Therefore, a good investmentin sufficient transport carriers is required for a safe and on-time supply of goods.
- Fewer suppliers – To effectively facilitate cross-docking operations, reliable suppliers are needed for on-time deliveries to ensure goods are shipped to customers safely and properly. In this industry there are fewer suppliers who deal in cross-docking, thereforeto find areliable one can bea challenging task.
- In–depth planning and coordination – Cross-docking service requires proper planning and coordination, and various considerations such as scheduling shipments, demand-supply analysis, and more. Without proper coordination and planning, the system can be negatively affected and you may suffer losses.
- Less storage availability – A cross-docking facility relies on transportation.The advantage of this type of facility is that the goods reach the customer on time,by eliminating the need for a storage facility in between. Storage-related warehouse expenses are reduced as less storage is required for thegoods.
- Additional freight handling can lead to product damage – In this type of facility, goods are no longer required to be picked and put away or transferred from one place to the other through man-handling. Withman-handling, there is a risk of product damage. Increased time duration or additional freight handling can also lead to product damage.
Cross-docking services and facilities can help you to reduce warehouse costs and ship goods faster. However, it is important to look at both the advantages and disadvantages when opting to use thisparticular type of facility. If you feel that you can manage the drawbacks or risks effectively, then consider using a cross-docking facility which might increase your profits.
- Posted by WiserTech Solutions
- On April 25, 2022