Warehouses are an important part of the proper functioning of any company in the manufacturing field. They are a safe space to store the manufactured goods and to avail of the benefits of different warehouse services. These services are carried out for stakeholders like the manufacturers, traders, wholesalers, importers, exporters, customs, transport businesses, etc.
To gain the maximum benefit, it is necessary that the warehouse storage is utilized efficiently and potential setbacks are taken into consideration as well.
There are certain things related to warehousing that you should pay attention to. If not taken care of, they can be a setback for the warehouse logistics and the warehouse itself. These setbacks include the potential risks that can mar the proper functioning of the warehouse. Some of them are as mentioned below:
- Natural Calamity: Warehouse that are located in areas that are at a high risk of natural calamities like the floods are at risk of suffering the most.
- Safety Precautions: Not having required safety equipment or not following a safety protocol can cause serious damage to the employees as well as to the stored goods.
- Proper Training: It is necessary to train employees working in hazardous conditions so that if a situation arises, it can be managed without any panic or confusion.
- Security Breach: Any breach in security can give rise to a threat in the form of theft. Efficient warehousing management and necessary security procedures should be carried out to avoid any breach.
- Product Damage: Can occur due to natural or human error.
- Equipment Failure: This is an issue that occurs while working with the goods. Equipment failure can cause drastic situations to arise.
- Administrative Costs: It may not be possible for every company using warehousing and storage to cover the manufacturing as well as the maintenance cost.
- High Setup Costs: During the initial stages, the cost of establishing and ensuring the smooth functioning of a warehouse is quite high.
To ensure the smooth functioning of the warehouse, certain supplies should be present in a warehouse. These supplies include essentials for the optimum functioning of a warehouse. Let’s find out what all is included in these supplies!
Similar to the essential supplies that we use in our homes, a warehouse needs to have its list of necessary equipment. They are as follows:
- Pallet Jacks
- Integrated Dock Levelers
- Truck Restraints
- Dock Seals and Shelters
- Dock Boards and Plates
- Wheel Chocks
- Strip Doors and Air Curtains
- Large Ceiling Fans
- Yard Ramps
- Cranes and Hoists
- Work Benches
- Utility Carts
- Totes and Bins
Besides these, scales are also used:
- Floor Scales
- Small Parts Scale
- High-Speed Check-weighing Conveyor Scale
- Pallet Scale
- Check-weighing and Cubing
As discussed earlier, it is important to ensure safety at a warehouse. Some of the equipment that can come handy for this are as follows:
- Emergency Wash Station
- Anti-Fatigue Mats
- Barrier Rails
- Column Protectors
- Wire Partitions
- Traffic Visibility Mirrors
- Miscellaneous Equipment
Now, you know the basic equipment that is a must in a warehouse. Most of this equipment is used in warehouse transportation.
Storage systems in warehouses are supposed to be durable for carrying the heavyweight that is loaded onto them. At the same time, they should be easily transported and accessible. Available storage space can be used efficiently in many ways.
Warehousing and distribution services require goods to be stored. Some of the types of storage are as mentioned below;
- Static Shelving: As the name suggests, shelves are used to keep the goods and products static – they aren’t movable and stay in one place. They are designed in a way that they can store lightweight inventories that have to be handpicked or placed. This type of storage is not compatible with forklifts and has to be done by hand.
- Mobile Shelving: It is similar to static shelving but the only difference is that it can move and offers adjustable shelves. Such systems are designed to accommodate more goods in less space. Some of them can also contain locking systems and level tracks. The level tracks can either be mechanized or manual.
- Pallet Racking: They are used in large warehouses and are made out of wood, metal or plastic. Depending upon the height of these boxes, a forklift is used to place the pallets on the racks.
- Multi-Tier Racking: Large stocks of items that have small units can be easily stored by using a multi-tier racking system. They are designed to utilize vertical spaces. They are flexible and tiers can be added or removed as needed.
- Mezzanine Flooring: It is an effective and space-saving storage option in which a second or fourth floor is constructed over the main warehouse floor. This increases the storing area to accommodate more goods and products.
- Wire Partitions: This is strategically placed wire-cages that are easy to install and tear down. Goods are placed in these wire-cages and then stored in an orderly fashion.
- Storage Cabinets: Just like in the household, storage cabinets are an easy and convenient way of storing things. When used in warehouses, they are made of high-steel density to accommodate heavy objects. They are easily accessible and help to maintain cleanliness as well as security.
Warehouses are all about maximizing the storage capacity so that more goods can be stored for longer durations of time. It is necessary to optimize storage and utilize the available space accordingly. If the available space is not utilized properly, it may lead to delays in delivering the respective goods and services and this affects the overall reputation of the company.
- Posted by admin
- On July 22, 2020